Monday, July 18, 2011

Thit Kho - Pork and Egg Clay Pot

Served with steamed white rice and sauteed bok choy.

There are certain foods I remember from childhood, this dish being one of them.  It was actually on my list of least favorite foods growing up, because, as you know, children can be very picky.  As an adult, though, I've come to appreciate its homey heartiness.  This recipe is adapted from three different recipes that I've come across, and I think it comes close to my mom's. 

THE RECIPE

Hard boil about 4-8 eggs, depending on how much you like eggs or how many people you expect for dinner.

In a large Dutch oven, cook until caramelized (i.e., until dark brown, about 3 to 4 minutes):
2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil (enough to generously coat the bottom of the pot)
1 cup of sugar

Add to caramelized sugar and cook until fragrant (about 1 minute):
2-inch piece of ginger, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
3 large cloves garlic, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
1 medium shallot, chopped (about 1/3 cup)
1 small chile, minced (I used a serrano chile)


Mise en place (L to R): ginger, garlic, shallot, chile
The caramel should be dark brown by the time you add the pork.
Add, turning to coat:
3 pounds pork shoulder/butt, cut into 1 to 2 inch pieces

Leave the pork to brown, stirring occasionally.  Then add:
1/2 cup fish sauce
1 cup water (or enough to cover meat)
4 to 8 hard boiled eggs (fully submerge if you can)

Continue to simmer for about 30 minutes, and serve with steamed rice and some nice greens (as below).

2 comments:

  1. Nice recipe. Looks delicious. Don't forget to coat the rice with the cooked sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for posting this. my favorite part is the eggs.

    ReplyDelete